Preparing Your Family And Home For Extreme Okanagan Winter Conditions
- Make sure your home is well insulated and that you have weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the warm air inside.
- Make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.
- Keep fire extinguishers on hand, and make sure everyone in your house knows how to use them.
- Locate and know how to shut off water supply.
- Check the structural ability of the roof to sustain unusually heavy weight from the accumulation of snow or water. Check drains are clear of debree.
- Have the following heat sources in case the power goes out: Extra blankets, sleeping bags and warm winter coats
- Prepare your vehicle: Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Stock up on rock salt, sand or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on driveways and walkways.
- DON’T FORGET your 4 legged family members, plan to bring pets inside.